Friday, February 26, 2010

Soup Day

One should allow a full day for making chicken soup. It cannot be rushed. The Allspice jar on my counter reminded me that I had the makings for chicken soup and homemade noodles. Today's the day.
Chicken soup is an old folk remedy passed down from generation to generation. I once heard it called Jewish Penicillin. Well, anyways, if you are feeling achy, have chest congestion or a runny nose, try it. It can't hurt you and it TASTES GOOD. My Mom made the best chicken soup in the whole world. Here is her recipe:

CHICKEN SOUP

Place a 4-5# stewing hen into a pot and cover with water. (I use chicken parts. It's easier. Besides, I don't have an old stewing hen running around my back yard that has lived its good life.)
5 bay leaves
2 tsp. salt
Simmer for 3 hours. Remove chicken. Strain broth. Skim off some of the fat. Tear the chicken into pieces and put back in cooking pot.

While the chicken is simmering, I made noodles. Homemaid noodles are time consuming, but well worth it!

NOODLES

4 eggs - beaten with egg beater
3 3/4 cup flour
5 Tbsp. water (may have to add more to form a moist, solid ball)
Flour the counter top and roll dough into a thin sheet. Dry it on a dishtowell. My mom used to spread a clean sheet across her bed and let the dough dry there. Or she would use a chair back covered with a dishtowel. When the dough is dry enough,lift and carry it to your work space. Start at one end and roll it up like a cinnamon roll. Make cuts the size you want the noodles. Separate them onto a dishtowel and let them dry. Then drop them into your chicken broth. Simmer for 10 minutes.

ENJOY. And don't forget to sprinkle on some Allspice.

I will make the butterballs some other time.