Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday - Recipes for Schnitz Suppe und Grebble

Memories, what wonderful memories, I have of our family celebrating Easter in our German Russian home.  I remember Easter season being special, particularly to my mother.  She was always busy in the kitchen preparing those special "foods".  Mother thought it great fun to put together baskets for my brother and me.  She would fill them with candy and hide them somewhere in the house.  We always went to church on Easter Sunday.


Because I have many wonderful memories of growing up German Russian, I wish to preserve and share my culture with my family and my friends, who are curious about my customs and traditions.  This BLOG is a unique way to pass along: recipes, history, folklore, language, crafts, family stories, and of course, how we celebrated our holidays. 


I feel it is my way to honor, respect, and show gratitude for what my parents, grandparents, and fellow German Russians taught me and because of their good example, ingrained this culture deep in me.


Spice of Life - today we use cinnamon and allspice in our recipe.


Schnitz Soup


16 oz. (2 cups) dried fruit  (raisins, apricots, cherries, prunes, plums, blueberries, cranberries)
3cups water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
Bring to boil.  Simmer 5 minutes.  Set aside several hours. Drain liquid.
Add half & half.
Note:  If you like it thicker, add 4 tsp tapioca or use cream.
Sprinkle extra cinnamon and allspice on top it you like.


It is good warm or cold.  ENJOY


Grebble


3 eggs (beat)
Mix in: 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup sour cream
Mix separately:  1 cup buttermilk, 1 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt
Add to sugar and sour cream
5 1/2 cups flour - make a soft dough


Chill


Heat cooking oil.
Roll dough out on floured surface.  Cut rectangles, cut 2 slits in middle of rectangle and twist.
Drop in hot oil.  When golden brown on one side, turn and brown the other side.
When cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar